Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Hopple interchange work begins

Phase 4 of the I-75 Mill Creek Expressway project, which includes the widening of 1.5 miles of interstate and reconstruction of the Hopple Street interchange, has officially begun.

Tonight, from 8 P.M. to 6 A.M., the left lane of southbound I-75 from the Monmouth Street overpass to Hopple Street will close to accommodate the placement of a temporary barrier wall. The ramp from westbound Hopple Street to southbound I-75 will close between 10 P.M. and 5 A.M.

The right lane of northbound I-75 from the Western Hills Viaduct to Hopple Street and its Hopple Street exit ramp closed last night.

As part of the project, Hopple Street will be reconstructed to span Central Parkway, with a connector road providing access. At the top of the hill, Clifton Colony Drive will be closed at Martin Luther King Drive and connected to Central Parkway.

One travel lane will be added to both northbound and southbound I-75. Partial-access ramps from eastbound I-74 to Central Parkway and from Bates Avenue to westbound I-74 will be eliminated.

The $90.8 million project is scheduled for completion in December 2016.

The eight-phased, $711.5 million I-75 Mill Creek Expressway project is being undertaken to provide safety and capacity improvements along I-75 from the Western Hills Viaduct to Paddock Road and at the I-74 interchange with Colerain Avenue and Beekman Street.

Photo of demolition of former Kluener Meats plant on Massachusetts Avenue courtesy of Joe Gorman, Camp Washington Community Council community organizer

Previous reading on BC:
Public gets update on Hopple interchange (1/22/13)
TRAC accepts 2014-2017 draft for road projects, accepting public comment (12/21/12)
City Planning Commission approves 'Revive Cincinnati' Mill Creek plan (3/7/11)
Camp Washington land to be sold for I-75 project (7/6/10)
Work begins on I-75 Mill Creek project (3/25/10)