Friday, May 3, 2013
YEAR BUILT: 1870
USE: Multi-family dwelling
OWNER: Leroy Glen Investment LLC (Eagle Realty Group)
ASSESSED VALUE: $37,150
ORDERS: July 2001, ordered vacated and barricaded due to non-compliance on orders issued in May 2000. Ordered vacated and barricaded in August 2003, then again in November 2004. Orders issued for exterior paint, windows, exterior steps and exterior hand rail in December 2005. Again ordered vacated and barricaded in January 2007. In October 2008, it was discovered that high winds from the remnants of Hurricane Ike had damaged the roof and left a portion of it hanging over the public right-of-way. The building again was ordered vacated and barricaded in March 2009. The roof was replaced and the cornice was rebuilt, but then owner Dorian Development made no attempt to purchase a Vacant Building Maintenance License (VBML) and was depending on City support for a redevelopment project, which never came. Eventually, all attempts to clean up the property, keep it barricaded, and abate graffiti were abandoned.
CONDEMNED: November 2011, for broken and missing windows, vandalism, graffiti, weeds and litter. In May 2012, the current owner petitioned the City to block off traffic into and out of the complex to cut down on illegal dumping and vandalism, and soon began cleaning up the site.
REASON RAZED: Demolished by Eagle Realty Group for future redevelopment as workforce housing. The building was part of the Glencoe-Auburn Hotel and Glencoe-Auburn Place Row Houses, listed on the National Register of Historic Places in December 2003.
Posted by Kevin LeMaster at 9:00 AM