Monday, May 20, 2013
YEAR BUILT: 1875
USE: Multi-family dwelling
OWNER: Leroy Glen Investment LLC (Eagle Realty Group)
ASSESSED VALUE: $88,230
CONDEMNED: April 2001. Reissued in April 2003, citing holes in ceilings, walls and floors, deteriorated brick and mortar, gutters and downspouts, missing or vandalized mechanicals, and missing windows. Orders reissued to Dorian Development in July 2003. The building was taken from condemned status due to some rehabilitation work, but it was ordered to be kept barricaded in July 2004. Orders to vacate and barricade the building were reissued in August 2004, then again in January 2007. A criminal case was filed against the developer in May 2007. Throughout the period, the owner made no attempt to purchase a Vacant Building Maintenance License (VBML) and was depending on City support for a redevelopment project, which never came. Eventually, all attempts to clean up the property, keep it barricaded, and abate graffiti were abandoned. Following damage from Hurricane Ike in 2008, a portion of its southwest wall and roof had to be rebuilt by the City. The criminal case was dismissed in May 2010 and refiled two months later. Following the building's acquisition by Eagle Realty Group in November 2011, condemnation orders were reissued. The company petitioned the City to block off traffic into and out of the complex to cut down on illegal dumping and vandalism, and soon began cleaning up the site.
REASON RAZED: Demolished by Eagle Realty Group for future redevelopment as workforce housing. The building was part of the Glencoe-Auburn Hotel and Glencoe-Auburn Place Row Houses, listed on the National Register of Historic Places in December 2003.
Posted by Kevin LeMaster at 1:00 PM